Sunday, January 6, 2013

Drop Pod-Theory not in Practice: Primed

Once again, I'm attempting some "under-painting" with my primer to get some built-in shading.  First, I primed it all white with P3 primer.  (I want the yellow to really be bright.)


I was going to flip it upside down and spray with Armory Gray primer at a 45 degree angle to get shading.  I was out of gray, so I used black.  A little too stark, but I'm experimenting anyway.
Now for the yellow:

I did a little more tweaking with the yellow, attempting to cover up the black so it looks less black and more of a deeper shade of yellow:



The yellow itself is TAP's Daemonic Yellow primer and may be too thick to properly do what I'm trying, but it looks like it's working.  I'll eventually find the right balance.  Now onto actually painting it. 

2 comments:

  1. It looks nice. Yellow is an odd color when it comes to painting, I can never get it to look right unless I spray it on. Cant wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm a glutton for punishment, so I picked a hard color to paint. There's a lot of folks out there who build the yellow up from a light tan-like brown. I wanted blaring bright shiny yellow. My recipe that I so far like uses Daemonic Yellow TAP primer pretty much as the base. But, to get it BRIGHT, I have to prime white first, then yellow on top. This is the first shot at the undercoating. I'll get around soon (hopefully) getting more paint on it.

    ReplyDelete

Follies with Spray Primers